Your heart beats about 35 million times a year and circulates all your blood throughout your entire body three times every minute. With how hard it works, it needs some serious attention. The better you care for your heart, the healthier you will be. Here are three cardiac care foods you can eat on a regular basis (and three recipes that include them) that will help keep your heart happy and healthy.
1. Oatmeal. It contains potassium, omega-3s, fiber, and folate. While you can make a quick bowl in the morning, you can also make a delicious oatmeal breakfast the night before so it will be ready when you wake up. Combine:
- 1 cup rolled or steel cut oats
- 1 cup milk (regular, soy, or almond)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp chopped nuts
- 1 peach or 1/4 cup of berries
Mix the milk, oats, and vanilla together in a bowl, cover it, and leave it in the fridge overnight. The next morning add your nuts, fruit, and a little sweetener if you so desire.
2. Salmon. It is loaded with omega-3s, which can lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, and reduce blood clotting. Salmon also has powerful antioxidants. Try to eat it at least once a week. If you get tired of salmon, you can also try tuna, trout, sardines, herring, or mackerel. Try this fantastic salmon recipe:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 zucchini
- 3 shallots
Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, water, and garlic. Put it in a zip top bag and add the salmon. Marinate it for half an hour. In a skillet on the stove add a splash of olive oil and the two salmon fillets. Turn the heat on to medium. Cook the salmon for five to six minutes. Flip the salmon and cook another five or six minutes. Remove the salmon and put the zucchini and shallots in the pan. Cook them for four or five minutes, or until tender. Place them on top of the salmon and serve.
3. Avocados. They contain monounsaturated fat, which can lower your LDL levels and raise your HDL levels. You can add slices to your sandwiches or salads, add some to a smoothie, or try this amazing chicken soup. You will need:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 avocado
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1 tsp garlic
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
In a skillet, combine 1 Tbsp olive oil, the garlic, and the onion. Sautee until the onion is translucent and add the chicken broth. Heat it until it is warm and turn off the stove. In another skillet, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and the chicken breasts. Cook them on medium heat until they are browned and cooked through (about five minutes per side). Place each chicken breast in a bowl with some avocado slices and some green onion. Top with the chicken broth and some fresh cilantro.
If you eat these foods regularly and exercise often, your heart will beat for years to come.